Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Thoughts from Above

I have found a great church to be part of, praise God.

Ashburton Baptist is only a 5-10 min walk from my house and I have been going for about a month. The men have been very welcoming and I have joined the mens group on Monday nights 7:30pm.
(I'll have to go straight from the gym.. but it is a men's group)

One thought from Sunday..
A quote from the wall in the prayer room at church:

"Let your heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God."

Something to mull over and summed up by my new thought -
Holy Discontent

i'm sure it has roots in something one of the great Godly men that have taught me may have said,.. (Ken Moser, J Moff, The Strut and Diggers, and now David Jenson, my new minister)
For me, I concentrate a lot on being content with MY life.. but I don't spend enough (if any) time thinking about what God is not content with in this world and how I interact with it.

example, God says Deut 5:16 "Honour your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you."

For us we relate to the land as heaven right.. but when I'm not honouring my parents God's heart is being broken. He blessed me with loving, generous parents after all!

Thoughts?
A

1 Comments:

At March 18, 2006, Blogger jodi said...

hey andy - followed some links from other peoples blogs and found yours - so, thoughts on holy discontentment (since no one else has)...i think you're right on the money. Part of our biggest problem, as i see it, is that we aren't discontent enough with our sin.

Deut say "Be holy because I AM holy" (ok, so that was God not Deut) - it's a command that we have to be seperate/different, so when our lives aren't matching up we fall into one of two traps; either we continue to go with our sinful nature in whatever form that takes, or we become over burdened with guilt at our sin and forget that Gods graciousness means that we have been freed to live the Holy lives that he calls us to (cf Romans)...ok, enough of my thoughts.

I'm so encouraged that your doing well and have found a church in NZ - it's always cool to know what people are up to once they've moved on. what are you doing over there? looks like a lot of football...
in Him
j.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home